The Group provides a professional network for Developers representing Higher Education institutions in the region, dealing with a wide range of issues and inclusive of all types of Developer.
The group has been meeting for over 20 years and was one of the first UK Staff Developers’ Groups to establish itself. The challenge for the group is that it is so geographically dispersed, from Falmouth, Cornwall in the south to Gloucester in the north, then from Swansea to Portsmouth. Most topics are suggested by members.
We communicate via:
- an email group of over 40 members, valued as a way of sharing, asking for information/assistance.
- face to face meetings and seminars, 2 to 3 times a year.
The meetings are an opportunity to welcome speakers (from within and outside the sector), discuss a range of issues, network and offer advice and support.
The South Wales and West of England Staff Developers’ Group (SWSWSDG) is a self-organising body. The Chair attends the national Staff Development Forum Council meetings in an advisory capacity and members are encouraged to become involved in dialogue and events with the Leadership Foundation and other bodies.
Chair – Clive Betts – Head of People Development – University of Exeter
As Head of People Development at the University of Exeter I lead a team of seven learning professionals who procure, devise and deliver a range of learning opportunities to all staff at the University. It is one of the most exciting times in my long and varied career! I am passionate about helping people develop professionally and personally and have enjoyed working at a national level as Treasurer to the SDF Executive (2010-2013). I have successfully won and delivered two Leadership Foundation for Higher Education projects and have given numerous papers at a wide range of national conferences. In my spare time I am Chair of Ambios Ltd a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to nature conservation and training. Under the Ambios banner I am also a professional ecological entomologist, running international projects, working with schools and volunteers, training students and organising public engagement events.
Contact: Clive Betts
Dr Alison Leggett- Staff Development Manager (Academic Staff), University of Bristol
- Academic Staff Development
- Leadership and Management
- Academic Skills Development
- Researcher Transferable Skills Development
- HRD Strategy and Policy Development related to this group
- Team development events; MBTI practitioner
Clive Betts – Learning and Development Manager (Professions) – University of Exeter
I am responsible for the research, creation and support of developmental pathways for professions in the University (eg Technicians, Finance, IT, Research Managers). I am a qualified 360 reviewer and remain actively engaged in online learning development, training design and delivery, 1-1 and team development.
My background is in IT management, vocational training, scientific civil service and Biosciences (research and teaching) having successfully changed careers several times in the past 35 years.
Areas of expertise: structured professional and career development; vocational qualifications and accreditation; e-learning; support for mentors; working with professions.
Kass Hawkley – Management & Staff Development Adviser – University of Portsmouth
- Research & development of courses & programmes
- Design & delivery of skills based training e.g.Train the Trainer, Working with Assertiveness
- Individual & organisational development projects
- Support for managers & teams in periods of change and/or transition
Dr Simon Inger – Head of Staff Development – University of Bath
- Organisational development policy and strategy
- Learning and development policy and provision for all staff groups
- People strategy
- Academic leadership development and talent management
- Organisational capability for change
Pam Fitzsimmons – Learning & Development Manager – University of the West of England
- Leadership and management development
- Personal and career development
- Supporting organisational development and projects
- Talent management
Emma Loten – Management & Staff Development Adviser – University of Portsmouth
- Design and development of courses and programmes
- Consultancy, support and facilitation for team and individual development
- Change management inc support for teams in transition and development of a change programme
- Supporting organisational development projects
- Performance & Development Review policy and practice
2017 SWSWSDG Dates
- 19th June 2017 – University of Exeter
Format of the meetings
- Updates from the Staff Development Forum representative and Leadership Forum
- ‘Round Robin’ from those attending – sharing key priorities, information and best practice
The after lunch session will consist of one or both of the following:
- Staff development from an external provider
- Sharing good practice on a given topic
- Bath Spa University
- Bristol University
- Cardiff University
- Cranfield University (Shrivenham Campus)
- Falmouth University
- Newport University
- Open University SW (Bristol)
- Oxford University
- Plymouth University
- Swansea University
- University of Bath
- University of Exeter
- University of Gloucestershire
- University of St Mark and St John (Plymouth)
- University of the West of England (Bristol)