The Group provides a professional network for Developers representing Higher Education institutions in the region, dealing with a wide range of issues and inclusive of all types of Developer.
The group has been meeting for over 20 years and was one of the first UK Staff Developers’ Groups to establish itself. The challenge for the group is that it is so geographically dispersed, from Falmouth, Cornwall in the south to Gloucester in the north, then from Swansea to Portsmouth. Most topics are suggested by members.
We communicate via:
- an email group of over 40 members, valued as a way of sharing, asking for information/assistance.
- face to face meetings and seminars, 2 to 3 times a year.
The meetings are an opportunity to welcome speakers (from within and outside the sector), discuss a range of issues, network and offer advice and support.
The SWSWSDG is a self-organising body. The Chair attends the national Staff Development Forum Council meetings in an advisory capacity and members are encouraged to become involved in dialogue and events with the Leadership Foundation and other bodies.
Contact Details: Helen Woods
Staff Development Manager – University of Bristol
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: (0117 33 18023).
Dr Alison Leggett- Staff Development Manager (Academic Staff), University of Bristol
- Academic Staff Development
- Leadership and Management
- Academic Skills Development
- Researcher Transferable Skills Development
- HRD Strategy and Policy Development related to this group
- Team development events; MBTI practitioner
Michelle Armitage – Head of HR, National Composites Centre
- HR strategy development and deployment
- Setting up new HR systems and processes from scratch
- HR Team management
- Day to day delivery and advice to managers in:
- Recruitment and resourcing
- Learning and Development including management development
- Performance management
- Employee relations and risk mitigation
- Reward and recognition
- Employee wellbeing and morale
Angie Allcock – Head of People Development– University of Exeter
I head the People Development Team of 7 staff who help the University develop its organisational effectiveness by supporting the development of staff’s core skills and capabilities so they fulfil their roles successfully and develop their full potential. The team also run key organisational diagnostics including the Employee Engagement Survey and the PDR process.
I provide advice on strategic initiatives such as the Exeter Academic and Transformation projects and policies associated with Learning and Development. An important aspect of my role is to keep up to date on latest innovations to ensure the University’s learning and development approaches reflect the latest thinking.
I am responsible for developing academic leadership initiatives and coordinate various women’s development schemes such as Aurora. I provide bespoke team event facilitation, frequently blended with diagnostic tools, from team building days to senior management teams developing strategic plans.
Areas of expertise: leadership/management development; Executive Coach; coaching and mentoring; employee engagement; organisation development; internal consultancy; working with UOE’s staff.
Clive Betts – Learning and Development Manager (Professions) – University of Exeter
I am responsible for the research, creation and support of developmental pathways for professions in the University (eg Technicians, Finance, IT, Research Managers). I am a qualified 360 reviewer and remain actively engaged in online learning development, training design and delivery, 1-1 and team development.
My background is in IT management, vocational training, scientific civil service and Biosciences (research and teaching) having successfully changed careers several times in the past 35 years.
Areas of expertise: structured professional and career development; vocational qualifications and accreditation; e-learning; support for mentors; working with professions.
Kass Hawkley – Management & Staff Development Adviser – University of Portsmouth
- Research & development of courses & programmes
- Design & delivery of skills based training e.g.Train the Trainer, Working with Assertiveness
- Individual & organisational development projects
- Support for managers & teams in periods of change and/or transition
Dr Simon Inger – Head of Staff Development – University of Bath
- Organisational development policy and strategy
- Learning and development policy and provision for all staff groups
- People strategy
- Academic leadership development and talent management
- Organisational capability for change
Pam Fitzsimmons – Learning & Development Manager – University of the West of England
- Leadership and management development
- Personal and career development
- Supporting organisational development and projects
- Talent management
Emma Loten – Management & Staff Development Adviser – University of Portsmouth
- Design and development of courses and programmes
- Consultancy, support and facilitation for team and individual development
- Change management inc support for teams in transition and development of a change programme
- Supporting organisational development projects
- Performance & Development Review policy and practice
Debbie Waters – Staff & Organsational Development Manager – Falmouth University
- Management of Staff Development function and planning
- Background and interest in systems to record and report training activity and compliance
- Organisational Development and Business Planning
- Design, development and delivery of staff engagement initiatives and support
Helen Woods – Staff Development Manager (Culture Change and Career Management) – University of Bristol
- Manages the Culture Change and Career Management (CC&CM) Staff Development team
- Project managing a range of initiatives sponsored by the PositiveWorking@Bristol Steering Group
- Facilitation of activities to promote behavioural change at team, Division/Faculty and organisation level.
- Provides advice and guidance on career management for Professional Services staff, in conjunction with the University’s Coaching Team.
- Supporting the technical staff group in their professional development and strategic positioning within the University.
- Bath Spa University
- Bournemouth University
- Bristol University
- Cardiff University
- Cranfield University (Shrivenham Campus)
- Falmouth University
- Newport University
- Open University SW (Bristol)
- Oxford University
- Plymouth University
- Portsmouth University
- Southampton University
- Swansea University
- University of Bath
- University of Exeter
- University of Gloucestershire
- University of St Mark and St John (Plymouth)
- University of the West of England (Bristol)